BISHOP — As the fishing season opener approaches, the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power (LADWP) will be hosting Quagga and Zebra Mussel inspections for trailered watercraft from April 22 through April 24. DWP reminds local boaters all motorized vessels planning to launch at Crowley Lake must be inspected prior to launch.
Boat inspections will be held at the Vons/Kmart parking lot in Bishop and at Crowley Lake Fish Camp. Vons/Kmart inspections will be held April 22 and 23 from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., and Friday, April 24, from 7 a.m. to 10:30 p.m.
Crowley Fish Camp inspections will be held April 22 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., April 23 from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. and April 24 from 7 a.m. to dark.
On Opening Day (April 25), boats can also be inspected from sunrise until sunset but, due to high demand, waiting until Saturday is not recommended. Boat inspections at Crowley will continue throughout the fishing season.
Boats showing signs of contamination with invasive mussels, or found to contain any water or debris could harbor invasive mussels, will not be allowed to launch into Crowley Lake.
Pre-inspected boats may use the pre-paid line at the main gate at South Landing of Crowley Lake to expedite entry. If you are planning on launching a boat into Crowley Lake please keep the following in mind:
– All boats and trailers must be clean and dry or they will be denied access
– If the owner of the vessel chooses not to clean the vessel they will not be allowed to launch. ?
– All drain plugs must be removed prior to boat transport
– All vehicles towing boats will be required to have a visible Inspection Certification during boat launching at Crowley Lake
– Boat owners should be aware there might be an extended wait to enter Crowley Lake Reservoir due to these important protective measures.
Inspections are required for the protection of the fishery at Crowley Lake and in order to keep the reservoir open to recreational boating. DWP and Crowley Lake Fish Camp appreciate the cooperation of boat owners and will work to expedite the inspection and certification process.
For more information contact LADWP at (760) 873-0409 or LADWP.com/mussels or Crowley Lake Fish Camp at (760) 935-4043.